REPLACING FLOOR SUPPORTS ON GRAMPIAN 26 "IRISH MIST"
My Grampian 26 The Irish Mist has had a smell to it , as most old boats do, since the day I got it.
The head of course has itís own smells but this boat smelled of rotten wood.
Checking the bilge out I found the floor support cross members, called floors, to be waterlogged and falling apart. I could stick a screw driver clean through a couple of them!
As they were originally tabbed in place I borrowed a cutoff disk saw to cut the tabs and remove the rotten wood. Before cutting I gave one support a kick and it fell apart so the only thing left was the tabs! I quickly cut them off and ground the area smooth.
I was able to trace the parts of the floors onto new pine 2x4s and plywood.
These were laminated together with carpenters glue and clamped till dry.
As the pictures show, a couple of the supports were not too bad so were left in place. These two were coated heavily with fiberglass resin and some glass fiber for more strength.
The three new floors were set in place and tabbed in as well. After the initial coat set, I added more layers to the tabbing and completely covered all surfaces of the floors. This I hope will be key to the longevity of the new floors.
I gave the bilge a thick coat of yacht enamel and am now deciding on what to use for the cabin sole.
1976 Grampian 26 Hull# 946
Click on thumbnails for larger image